Friday, December 29, 2006

A Tribute to an Original Christmas Story



Enjoyed a delightful play this evening at The Granville Island Stage by the Arts Club Theatre Company...

Tis A Christmas Story! Remember the classic hit from the 1980's? The theatre act is based on the film that is definately an enchanting holiday favourite. Ah, to reminiscence...

I remember seeing it as a little girl at the local movie theatre about 20 years ago, and I was captivated from get-go. But at that age, it was possible to miss the joke between the lines. Of course now as an adult, I can view it in a much deeper and broader sense. A matter of fact, every time I see the film, I am guaranteed to catch something new and interesting and hilarious (often from the narrative by the older "Ralph"). I love that.

It is a movie that makes me laugh out loud. And isn't that a wonderful feeling?

Christmas in 1938 and all nine-year-old Ralphie Parker wants from Santa is an "Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle". But all he gets in response from everyone around him (including the big ole jolly guy himself) is the dreaded line: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

A fabulous play chock-full of guaranteed belly laughs, top-notch acting, and creative set designs. It is just fantastic entertainment from beginning to end. Director Katrina Dunn refers to it a "bizarre, hilarious tale of the North American consciousness." And it is indeed hilarious!

I walked away mesmerized by the childhood experience of the baby boom era.. and caught myself reflecting on my own favourite Christmases of the past. And oddly, in midst of all the nostalgia, I did note a similarity that wasn't necessarily holiday related... it was that gosh-awful Lifebuoy Soap in the original, bright red color with the distinctive carbolic fragrance (and taste) used to wash out our 'dirty' mouths (such as after saying words like "Oooh Fuuudge.")

Goodness, some things haven't changed... I guess we all have been soap connoisseurs at one time or another in our lives... yuck!

Well, thy had a delightful evening at the playhouse. Some people have their favourite holiday movies, and for me, it’s A Christmas Story. It’s just not really Christmastime without it…

No comments: